Collections & Archives

HPS preserves artifacts of the Greek immigration to Northeast Ohio. We have reached the significant milestone of over 300 objects in our collection. These donations are gifts from members of the Northeastern Ohio Greek Community. This diverse collection consists in part of icon paintings, Greek folk costumes, hand embroidered and crocheted textiles, ceramics, wood carvings, bronze objects and various other artifacts.

In addition to the collection, the archives consist of photographs, manuscripts, and documents describing the Greek immigrant experience.

One special project HPS took on was to underwrite the cost to fully restore 30 icons from Annunciation Church of Cleveland, Ohio.  These icons were painted by Reverend John Zographos in 1929.  The icons have been displayed at Annunciation Church, and St. Demetrios in July 2012. Most recently the icons were displayed again at Annunciation Church 

Recent Donations: 

Books: Three Greek liturgical gospel books. On each of the gospel book's cover is either a central embossed image of the Crucifixion and in each corner an embossed image of each of the Four Hierarchs. An embossed image of the Resurrection is centered on the back cover along with images of the Four Apostles.
Gift of the Parish Council of Sts Constantine & Helen Greek Orthodox Cathedral. 
 
Book: "Alexander The Conqueror" by Laura Foreman.
Gift of Mr. John K. Ermidis
 
Textile: Gift of Mrs Electra Johnson. A 2 piece Greek costume with matching apron made between 1920 and 1930. The costume consists of a one piece dress with red velvet detail at the neckline and a multi colored brocade hemline.
 
Textiles: Gift of Mr and Mrs Dean Peters. 6 crocheted pieces of different designs made from 1900-1915 by Chrysi Karazepuni Passaris and brought to New York as part of her dowery in 1925.
 
Textiles: Gift of Catherine Cashy. Three Women's Blouses made in the 1940's a gift to Catherine on a trip to Greece in 1950. 
 
Archive: Gift of Dr John and Helen Collis. A black and white photograph of the "Sixth National Convention Pancretan Union of America, July 10th to 16th 1939, Akron, Ohio". The photograph 20" by 12" was taken at the convention by Stivas Studios. 
 
Visit our Photo Gallery to see pictures of our recent donations and the entire collection. 
 

How to Donate:
Contact Andy Chakalis  HPSCleveland@gmail.com